When and Where
The 15th Cape Town GeekDinner, aka Obstreperous Olive, will be held on Wednesday the 29 of July, at Pasta Factory. Be there at 18:30 for 19:00.
Address: 2c Park Road, Mlt House, Gardens
GeekDinners are community-organised events. We'd love for you to help out with the organising - sign up to the planning mailing list and chip in if you can.
For this dinner, we still need:
- AV equipment - we will need to borrow or hire our own.
- Speakers - we're always on the lookout for volunteers to tell us about their ideas or thoughts
- 1st talk session
- 2nd talk session
- 3rd talk session
- Slideshow Karaoke
We want short, interactive talks - a quick overview of a cool idea, or an interesting way of looking at things. We prefer to stay away from the how, and the technical nitty-gritty, and get an idea of the what or maybe the why.
We like to keep the talks short - about five minutes, plus questions. Bring your slides on a USB stick if you have any, we will provide a laptop and a projector.
- Ian Gilfillan - placebos, nocebos, quackery and Big Pharma
- OSA and a bit about OpenBTS- Joe
- Starting up 20FourLabs - Matt
- Real relationships amongst the Noise, and Could Twitter be a 'Decision Network'? - John-Luke Hutchinson
If you'd like to hear about something, let us know.
- I'd like to hear Adrianna talk about developing for the Karoo Array Telescope - MJW [maybe I'll prepare something in the future. :) - AP]
- I'd also like to know why I still can't accept payments in PayPal (what law is causing the problem?) and if there are alternatives that won't cost me a fortune for accepting international payments - MJW
- I second the request for a foreign payments talk. Maybe next time Ian? - APM
- A talk that provides tips and tricks and good advice to technology startup companies.
This is where somebody presents a talk based on slides that they have never seen before, on a topic chosen by somebody else. If you'd like to give it a try, or if you'd like to create the slides for whoever volunteers, sign up.
Available on Archive.org
The Pasta Factory have offered us a buffet-style menu, consisting of a choice of 2 pastas & 2 pizzas which will be made to order for each individual at the workstations, plus a salad buffet. The cost will be R110 per head (including service fee)
Our wine is very generously sponsored by Delheim - many thanks to them for supporting the Geek Dinners.
We need AV equipment at the venue. We need to supply our own screen, projector and microphone. If you can help out with this, please let us know.
- Make sure you tag your blog posts, flickr photos, etc, with "GeekDinner" and make sure your feed is part of Planet GeekDinner before the event. If you add your blog under the "Include Me" section, a planet admin should notice it and add you.
- Please blog about the event, linking to the venue and the wine sponsor - we like to give them positive props and link-love as one way of saying thanks.
- Please order some wine from the wine sponsor!
Anyone can attend a GeekDinner, and attendance itself is free. You only pay for your own food and drinks. Just sign up here (and think about offering a talk).
There are 70 places available - book early. Bring your geek friends and loved ones.
Please remove yourself if you can't make it.
If you want to be reminded a week before about the dinner, sign up to the announcement mailing list (or follow us on twitter).
Please indicate if you would prefer vegetarian food by placing a (V) next to your name when you sign up - it helps us give the venue some advance warning.
- Dave Mackie
- Stefano Rivera
- MJ Watson (V)
- Jonathan Hitchcock
- Kerry-Anne Gilowey
- Paul Gilowey
- Graham Poulter
- Anthony Faull
- Ian Gilfillan (V)
- Beverley Merriman
- Jeremy Thurgood
- Joe Botha
- Ayton Meintjes
- Morgan Behr
- Shayan Raghavjee (V)
- Shaun O'Connell
- Elodie Kleynhans (V)
- Christo Crampton
- Bearnard Hibbins
- Louise Liebenberg
- Nicci Baikie
- Sean Nieuwoudt
- Jonathan Carter
- Conrad Hofmeyr
- Wessel Venter
- Bryn Divey
- Michael Gorven
- Catherine Lückhoff
- Kylie Hagan
- Bradley Whittington
- Trevor Hughes
- Russell Cloran
- Kim Henderson
- Rox Bradnick(V)
- Donald Jackson
- Mike Metelerkamp
- Brenton Furniss
- Jakob Pedersen
- Mustapha Baboo (V)
- Glen Verran
- Nicola Jandrell
- Jonathan Page
- Alistair Fairweather
- Ashley Shaw
- Donavan Costaras
- Guinivea Swanepoel
- Marius de Beer
- Hanneke du Toit
- Neil Blakey-Milner
- Batthew Muckland
- Matthew Gray
- Kim Gray
- Sheraan Amod
- Peter Fosseus
- Candice Holgate
- Carol Day
- Christo Greeff
- Martin Duys
- Neill Adamson
- Catalina Fajardo
- Lyndon King
- Allan Boyle
- Conrad Hofmeyr
- Daniel Bailey
- Dirk Hanekom
- John Oxley
- Dirk Lucas
If you'd like to come, but didn't make it into the first 70, put your name here, and we'll bump you if other people can't make it. If you want to be reminded early about the next dinner, sign up to the announcement mailing list (or follow us on twitter).
- John-Luke Hutchinson
If you wanted to be there, planned to be there, but couldn't make it, move yourself down here with your excuse. Or your perfectly valid reason for abandoning us. As long as you're not a Jonathan.
- Elan Lohmann Only landing from JHB at 19:15, so have taken my name off to make space but will pop in for a drink.
- Mariska du Preez I'm so sorry! Have Women's W(h)ine Night Out...
- Marianna Boguslavsky
- Arno Breedt -- EPIC battle with the monstrous Sleep Deprivation tonight.
- Christél Breedt - at IT Project Management course in Johannesburg
- Kristin Kelly Zealand - Company Staff Party
- Danika Marquis - Company event
- Thomas Shone - Company event
- Anneke & Nico Oliver - would've loved to come, but hubby is out of town :(
- Tania - This month, Geek Dinner clashes with two birthday parties and a nerd meeting.
- Carla Fourie - I can't stay for the whole event, but will pop in to say hi :)
- Richard Spiers - Sorry, I'm flying back from JHB, then building a new server
- Desrie Govender- Really want to attend but a bug caught me and isn't letting go :(
- Robin Swanepoel - had to fly to Jo'burg unexpectedly
- Aubrey Kilian - coming down with a cold or something, blach. Sorry.
- Jonathan Smit What must I do since I'm a Jonathan? ;-)
- Joey da Silva
- Christine da Silva
- Marius Cloete
- Michael Champanis is sick
- Melissa Loudon is probably next
- Ronny Srnka
- Marike Redelinghuys sick