When and Where
The 21st Cape Town GeekDinner, aka Ululating Ulluco, will be held on Thursday the 29th of July, at Knead Bakery. Be there at 18:30 for 19:00.
Address: Wembley Square, Solan Street, Gardens
GPS: -33.93274° 18.42231°
GeekDinners are community-organised events. We'd love for you to help out with the organising - sign up to the planning mailing list and chip in if you can.
For this dinner, we still need:
- AV equipment - if the venue doesn't have any, we will need to borrow or hire our own.
- Speakers - we're always on the lookout for volunteers to tell us about their ideas or thoughts
- Sponsorship - the dinners are organised on a volunteer basis, but if you or your company would like to help out in any way, we would be very grateful for the support
- 1st talk session
- 2nd talk session
- 3rd talk session
- Slideshow Karaoke
We want short, interactive talks - a quick overview of a cool idea, or an interesting way of looking at things. We prefer to stay away from the how, and the technical nitty-gritty, and get an idea of the what or maybe the why.
We like to keep the talks short - about five minutes, plus questions. Bring your slides on a USB stick if you have any, we will provide a laptop and a projector.
If you have something you'd like to share, please offer it.
- Open Source Hardware Hacking Primer - Open Source Hardware is the next big thing, a quick introduction, highlighting popular examples like the Arduino amongst other developments. Opportunities and challenges regarding Open Source Hardware. Maker culture taking DIY further. (talk will a shortened talk suitable for a time constrained Geekdinner) - Peter Ing
- Computing on Little Drops of Water Suspended in the Atmosphere, and What We're Doing About It - (Also answers the perennial question "But won't my servers get soggy?") - Bryn Divey
If you'd like to hear about something, let us know.
This is where somebody presents a talk based on slides that they have never seen before, on a topic chosen by somebody else. If you'd like to give it a try, or if you'd like to create the slides for whoever volunteers, sign up.
- Mary Racter: Something something something about being keen and drunk.
- Ben Steenhuisen: What Mary said, but with more exuberance than anyone could think possible. Also willing to meet Mary 1/2 way.
- Your bread is stale and unbuttered. Regards, Mary. Also, let's do this.
We will arrange food with the venue, and put the menu up when we have it. We usually get a set meal for about R100.
If you aren't a vegetarian but would prefer the vegetarian menu please update your name on the guest list with a (V)
We usually get a case or two of wine sponsored for us for the evening.
We need AV equipment at the venue. Some venues have this already, but with others we need to supply our own screen, projector and microphone. If you can help out with this, please let us know.
- Make sure you tag your blog posts, flickr photos, etc, with "GeekDinner" and make sure your feed is part of Planet GeekDinner before the event. If you add your blog under the "Include Me" section, a planet admin should notice it and add you.
- Please blog about the event, linking to the venue and the wine sponsor - we like to give them positive props and link-love as one way of saying thanks.
- Please order some wine from the wine sponsor!
Anyone can attend a GeekDinner, and attendance itself is free. You only pay for your own food and drinks. Just sign up here (and think about offering a talk).
There are (usually) 60 places available - book early. Bring your geek friends and loved ones.
Please remove yourself if you can't make it.
If you want to be reminded a week before about the dinner, sign up to the announcement mailing list (or follow us on twitter).
Please indicate if you would prefer vegetarian food by placing a (V) next to your name when you sign up - it helps us give the venue some advance warning.
- Joe Botha
- Trevor Hughes
- Beverley Merriman
- MJ Watson (V)
- Ayton Meintjes
- Shayan Raghavjee (V)
- Bryn Divey
- Jeremy Thurgood
- Mary Racter
- Max Rabkin (V)
- Sean Nieuwoudt
- Peter Ing
- Marius Bock
- Daniel Shaw
- Jonathan Hitchcock
- Lara Morris
- Louise Liebenberg
- Christo Crampton
- Marije Pierson
- Shaun O'Connell
- Bearnard Hibbins
- Duncan Phillips
- Deon Bredenhann
- Dave Mackie
- Andy Rabagliati
- Jaco Geldenhuys
- Sheraan Amod
- Sianna Wu
- Wessel Venter
- Josh Yudaken
- Ben Steenhuisen
- Keegan Carruthers-Smith
- Christina Maxwell (V)
- Kosie van der Merwe
- Sean Packham
- Henk Joubert
- Blythe Watson
- David Rubin
- Michiel Baird
- Stefano Rivera
- Grant van Beulen
- Julian Kenwood
- Sune de Vos
- Gwylim Ashley
- Kevin Laithwaite
- Tslil Clingman (v)
- Kerry-Anne Gilowey
- Michael Graaf (V)
- Kate Wolters
- Graham Manuell
- Danny Day
- Marc Luck
- Rodain Joubert
- John Murray
- Amr El-Shimi
- Jonathan Smit
- Neil Blakey-Milner
- Riaan Labuschagne
- Mika Redelinghuys
- Kieran D
If you'd like to come, but didn't make it into the first 60, put your name here, and we'll bump you if other people can't make it. If you want to be reminded early about the next dinner, sign up to the announcement mailing list (or follow us on twitter)
- Chukas Neves
- Richard Wooding
- Nicola George
- Graham Poulter (whoops, forgot about this)
If you wanted to be there, planned to be there, but couldn't make it, move yourself down here with your excuse. Or your perfectly valid reason for abandoning us. As long as you're not a Jonathan.
- Joey da Silva - Fishing!
- Rian van der Merwe - Product meeting
- Ashley Askew - Friends arriving from JHB
- Nicolette Marx - Friends arriving from JHB
- Robert Ketteringham
- Max Kaizen - can't stay for dinner, freedom throttled by book deadline. bleak
- Romek van Litsenborgh - Late notice work ):
- Debby Blaine - Late notice work ):
- Paul Gilowey - He says he has to work, but he's probably going to the movies or something. Or washing his hair. I don't know.
- Martin Duys - Have to get my butt kicked on the squash court
- Tania Melnyczuk - So much to do, so little time. -- Leonardo Da Vinci (allegedly)
- Leonardo da Vinci - Some of my best friends are from this planet. -- Tania Melnyczuk (allegedly)
- Jakob Pedersen - Family visit and common fatigue..zzz
- Nicci Baikie - work
- Jackie Viljoen - East London
- Chanel Lewis
- Nicola Jandrell - birthday party
- Tracy Abrahams - Car troubles
- Carlo Kruger - no good excuse, just feeling meh