When and Where
The eighth in the new series of original GeekDinners, aka Happy Habanero, was held on Wednesday the 28th of May 2008, at Mel's Village Kitchen at 18:30 for 19:00.
Cape Town WordPress Meetup 3 was at 16:00 on the same day, so you could do two geek events in a row.
Address: Mel's Village Kitchen
Rondebosch Village is just off Klipfontein Road, opposite the Red Cross Children's Hospital, just east of the intersection with Milner Road, as it hits the M5. There is a map here.
- 1st talk session
- 2nd talk session
- 3rd talk session
- Slideshow Karaoke
- Open mic
The plan is to keep the talks interactive. We want to hear about new and interesting things.
Talks are meant to be short - between 3 minutes and 5 minutes without questions. Questions go on while people are interested. Also, if you would like to talk, please prepare at least a bullet list of your content and post this after the event.
There will also be an "open mic" session for spur-of-the-moment inspirations.
We'll organise a projector so you can bring your slides on a USB stick or similar, or, if you must, a laptop.
- Jonathan Hitchcock: An Introduction to Game Theory (or, Why You Shouldn't Push In On the N1)
- Jonathan Endersby: Five ways to live like a Capetonian
- Ian Gilfillan on why greenies don't like <genetically-modified food>
= Talk Videos
As usual, the talk videos are on Archive.org.
A recent addition to the GeekDinner agenda is our Slideshow Karaoke. This is where somebody presents a talk based on slides that they have never seen before, on a topic chosen by somebody else. If you'd like to give it a try, or if you'd like to create the slides for whoever volunteers, sign up.
- This month Brad Whittington (who presented Tania's slideshow on Concrete last time) will be creating a slideshow for Timothy Allen to present.
The meal will cost R115 a head (or about R125 with service fee included), and will consist of:
- Gluwein on arrival
- A hearty vegetable soup with freshly baked breads as a starter
- A buffet of differtent curries (beef, chicken and vegetarian) with rice, vegetables and the rest
- Baked chocolate pudding with custard
The wine will be sponsored by the excellent Perdeberg Winery.
Some random fun stuff
* rpg games to play
The audio equipment is being sponsored by Simply AV (021 782-5100). Thanks to Synthasite for letting us use their projector and Tania for locating a screen and Kerry Anne for fetching said screen.
- Make yourself a name tag, be creative
- Bring business cards
- Make sure you tag your blog posts, flickr photos, etc, with "GeekDinner" and make sure your feed is part of Planet GeekDinner before the event. If you add your blog under the "Include Me" section, a planet admin should notice it and add you.
- Please blog about the event, linking to the venue and the wine sponsor - we like to give them positive props and link-love as one way of saying thanks.
- Please order some wine from the wine sponsor!
Anyone can attend a GeekDinner, and attendance itself is free. You only pay for your own food and drinks. Just sign up here (and think about offering a talk).
There are 80 places available - book early. Bring your geek friends and loved ones.
Please remove yourself if you can't make it.
And people. This is not the queue to get onto the N1. Don't push in.
- Stefano Rivera
- Jonathan Hitchcock
- Ian Gilfillan
- Jeremy Thurgood
- Dave Mackie
- MJ Watson
- Bob Meredith
- Joe Frog
- Bev Merriman
- Allan Kent
- Wendy Robb
- Henk Kleynhans
- Anthony Faull
- Phil Barrett
- Aubrey Kilian - Shameless New Blog Punt
- Christopher Mills
- Fiona MacDonald
- Joey da Silva (Won't be round for dinner, but will make it later for a quick howdy)
- Luke Hardiman
- Henre Rossouw
- Kerry-Anne Gilowey
- Paul Gilowey
- Adrian Moisey
- Gareth de Vaux
- Jonathan Endersby
- Tink Duncan
- Deon Erasmus
- Bradley Whittington
- Julian Gordon
- Lyn de la Motte
- Christine da Silva
- Carla Fourie
- Graham Poulter
- Nick Coyne
- Wessel Venter
- Timothy Allen
- James Dominy
- Amanda Gillespie
- Joni Frederick
- Lesley Clayton
- Shaun O'Connell
- Jacques Marneweck
- David Fox
- Adrianna Pińska
- Simon Cross
- Greg Kempe
- Lauren Rota
- Brandon Golding
- Adam King reverse phone lookup
- Neil Muller (odds 3 to 1 on)
If you wanted to be there, planned to be there, but couldn't make it, move yourself down here with your excuse. Or your perfectly valid reason for abandoning us. As long as you're not a Jonathan.
- Peter Hundermark if date is not between 12 and 23 May, but maybe Mike will come. Mike?
- Vanessa Clark - wine course that night
- Simon Botes - Apologies guys - Things are always changing at the last minute, maybe next time.
- Carey Finn - Apologies, last minute change of moving plans. :(
- Tania - Overworked, tired and suffering from an acute attack of self-pity
- Anique vd/ Vlugt - I think you need a "good intentions" category for people like me
- Kevin Fourie - Having commitment issues this month.