When and Where
The next in the new series of original GeekDinners will be held on Wednesday the 28th of November, at 19:00 for 19:30 at Ferryman's Tavern, V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.
This is just a plan...
- 1st talk session
- Point Four
- 2nd talk session
- 3rd talk session
- Dessert and open mic
The plan is to keep the talks interactive. We want to hear about new and interesting things.
Talks are meant to be short - between 3 minutes and 5 minutes without questions. Questions go on while people are interested. Also, if you would like to talk, please prepare at least a bullet list of your content and post this after the event.
There will also be an "open mic" session for spur-of-the-moment inspirations.
We'll organise a projector so you can bring your slides on a USB stick or similar, or, if you must, a laptop.
- OpenStreetMap - Adrian "FineI'llDoIt" Moisey
- Introduction to Copyleft Licences (A very brief overview of the concept of copyleft, the GPL, the BSD licence, various flavours of Creative Commons, and other open licences.) - Adrianna Pińska
- Why being a game developer isn't what you think it is - Jennie Stenhouse
- Google Summer of Code - Charl van Niekerk
- Cape Town SPIN - Albert Visagie
- The Evil People in Marketing: The Real Reason Why User Interfaces Suck - Jonathan Hitchcock and Tania would like Henk Kleynhans to give his talk from September
- OpenSocial - Nick Coyne wants Ivor Paul to explain why OpenSocial is so important :)
- The environment from a critical geek/hippies point of view - Jonathan Endersby would like Ian Gilfillan to give this talk
In addition, this dinner, for the first time, we will be having a Slideshow Karaoke session. Russell Cloran and Jeremy Thurgood have prepared slides for talks on topics of their own choice, and Bryn Divey and Jonathan Hitchcock will be presenting these talks. However, Bryn and Jonathan have not seen the slides before, and do not even know the topic of the talks.
The talks were videoed, and are available to watch online (flash) or download in Ogg/Theora/Vorbis format (plays in VLC and Mplayer)
Ferrymans are providing a set menu for R99 per person (plus tip):
- Calamari starter, or
- Greek salad
- Tradition style fish and chips, or
- Lamb curry, or
- Deep-fried chicken schnitzel, or
- Vegetarian option
- Ice-cream with Bar One sauce
A couple cases of wine have been sponsored by Wine23.co.za for Novembers meeting. Should they get a significant response from the meeting they will commit to sponsoring us for another 6 months! Please support them and enjoy the effects with us! :)
- Make yourself a name tag, be creative
- Bring business cards
- Make sure you tag your blog posts, flickr photos, etc, with "GeekDinner" and make sure your feed is part of Planet GeekDinner before the event. If you add your blog under the "Include Me" section, a planet admin should notice it and add you.
- Please blog about the event, linking to the venue and the wine sponsor - we like to give them positive props and link-love as one way of saying thanks.
Anyone can attend a GeekDinner, and attendance itself is free. Just sign up here (and think about offering a talk), and be aware of the requirement to order a meal (or not) in the "Menu" section.
The venue can seat up to 80 people - book early. That said, there's always a couple of no-shows, so don't be disheartened if you really want to come along and this list is full. Bring your geek friends and loved ones, if you have any.
Please remove yourself if you can't make it, so that it is easy to see how many people are going to pitch up, and so people don't give up if it looks like it is full.
And people. This is not the queue to get onto the N1. Don't push in.
- Jonathan Hitchcock: http://vhata.net/
- Dave Mackie
- Tink Duncan
- Deon Erasmus
- Leigh Josephs
- Jeremy Thurgood http://www.jerith.za.net/
- Joey da Silva http://www.shout.co.za
- Christine da Silva http://www.altersage.com
- Johann Botha: http://www.swimgeek.com/
- Stefano Rivera: http://tumbleweed.org.za/
- Jonathan Endersby http://www.arbitraryuser.com/blog
- Adrian "Hulk" Moisey
- Jonathan Carter (If they're calling it "Powerpoint" Kareoke though, then I'm not coming)
- Shaun O'Connell: http://ndorfin.livejournal.com/
- Kerry-Anne Gilowey: http://www.capetowndailyphoto.com
- Paul Gilowey: http://www.capetowndailyphoto.com
- Glen Verran: http://www.thezashow.com
- Farrel Lifson: http://www.aimred.com
- Gr aham Pou 1ter
- Arno Breedt
- Adrianna Pińska
- Simon Cross
- Ian Gilfillan
- Lindsey Mc Donald
- Sheldon Hearn: http://starjuice.net/
- Dennis Bartlett [PowerPoint Karaoke or not, its the mixing that counts]
- Wessel Venter http://www.august-inspiration.co.za
- Jennie Stenhouse
- Joerg Diekmann http://brea.kfas.st
- Andre Sachs
- Charl Young
- Bob Meredith
- Jacobus van Niekerk: http://www.azapi.com
- Mark Ter Morshuizen
- Analize Ter Morshuizen
- Kevin Fourie
- Tim Shier: http://quirk.biz
- Timothy Allen
- Bryn Divey
- Andy Rabagliati
- Gerhard Esterhuizen
- Charl van Niekerk
- teh Wikidnickers
- MJ Watson
- Ron Wertlen
- Markus Basson
- Stephanie Dreyer ( From the You-Kay! Hurray! )
- Russell Cloran
- Neil Blakey-Milner
- Jacques Marneweck
- Sean McLeod
- Tracy Baving
- Richard Spiers
- Mike Baker
- Spike Hodge
- Sakhi Louw
- Randolf Jorberg (weather.co.za)
- Erhard Eiselen
- Riaan Nolan http://www.3am.co.za
- Bolelang Rakeepile
- Dirk Lucas
- Annelie Lucas
- Albert Visagie
- Benjine Gerber
- Sheraan Amod
- Dave Woods
- Ashley Shaw LightSpeed
- Georgina Armstrong
- Peter Beyleveldt
- De Waal Steyn
- Anneke van der Walt
- Michael Champanis http://sinner.co.za
- Rory Austin
- Daniel Avinir www.attract.co.za
- Marcos Arellano
- Lourens Steyn http://houtkabouterblog.blogspot.com
- Dave Duarte
- Brandon Golding
If you wanted to be there, planned to be there, but couldn't make it, move yourself down here with your excuse. Or your perfectly valid reason for abandoning us.
- Tania - Excuse: Teaching Project Management basics to the Royal Swazi Sugar Corporation.
- Neil Muller - Attending PRASA
- Aubrey Kilian - Excuse: I have to floss the cat. No really. Sorry. :-(
- Shayan Raghavjee - Shayan is unexpectedly out of the country - Adrian
- Gareth de Vaux - do not want
- Nico de Wet http://www.redbutton.co.za - Excuse: family duty call
- James Cook - http://www.emia.co.za - Next Time - Short notice
- Derek Palframan - Function overload
- Nick Coyne: http://blog.codevader.com/ - Unfortunately my workload is taking over. Next time...
- Anja Schacht - she couldn't make it - Adrian